Monday, October 20, 2008

NObama 08"

So I have a friend named Emliy Parry, and we are both strong republicans. Considering that Flagstaff is a democratic city in the majority, we decided to make our opinions known and stand up for our beliefs. On Friday, Emily came over to my house and we made these shirts.

This is the front
and this is the back.
They say... NObama. Yes We Can- raise taxes and make everything cost more. Hope- you can still afford groceries. Change- is all you'll have left in your pocket. At the top of the back it has my last name and underneath it says, If Obama is the answer, you asked a stupid question. Forget the zero, elect a hero. McCain 08". Now once again, considering that Flagstaff is a democratic city in the majority, there was more than a handful of kids at school who strongly disagreed with me when I wore this shirt to school today. It ranged from being pushed into lockers in the school hallway, to being yelled at and called words like "racist". Teachers kept their mouths closed, but only because they had to. Some teachers would discretely try to read my shirt to decide whether or not I should be sent to the office and call a parent to tell them that my shirt was "innappropriate", and other teachers would just stop and stare in the hall. However! I have had almost half as many compliments on my shirt as well! Right now, I currently have at least ten requests from students at school to make them a shirt and I am making them for anyone who wants one. I think that just because we aren't old enough to vote in the elections yet, doesn't mean we should not make our opinions known. We are the future generation of this country and we need to stand up for what we believe in. Don't be afraid of what others may think of you or what they might say. One of my favorite quotes from President Monson that I won't ever forget hearing at EFY is "Dare to be a Mormon, dare to stand alone, dare to have a purpose firm, and dare to make it known." I can literally apply this to my everyday life. Don't let the opinions of others persuade you to believe in something else, and no matter what, always stand up for what you believe.

3 comments:

AudyCamp said...

GOod for you Melissa! I LOVE THAT QUOTE at the bottom too from Pres. Monson-I've never heard it before. Cmon though "racist" is the best these kids can come up with? That's ridiculous! Don't be phased by it and pray for strength to continue to stand up for what you believe!

Lacey said...

melissa, i am seriously so proud of you, that is awesome! What a strong young woman you have become, good for you! i know exactly what you are going through, and that is so awesome that you have the self confidence and knowledge to stand up. love you!

A day in the life of the Campbell's said...

You rock!! I love hearing you talk politics. Maybe you have a future in that and not anethesia!!